Friday, March 30, 2012

Baked Balsamic-Soy Asparagus


Baked Balsamic-Soy Asparagus
Hi everyone! Okay, yes I know, I kind of suck for not updating for an entire week! I did cook through out the week (a few things at the least), but I just thought I would wait until the weekend to actually post the recipes. I have just been sooooo busy with no school or work (scarcasm)! I am not sure how I am going to be able to get back into the swing of things after the long break!

Anyways, the first entry of the weekend is a delicious side dish that I love making for the family.  It's got the right amount of garlicy-ness with the right tang from the balsamic vinegar! I absolutely love this side dish, and I am definitely sure that you will too.  Asparagus is also VERY, VERY good for you, which makes this already delicious dish a definite plus! It's low in calories and sodium while being a good source of fiber, Vitamin B, folic acid, etc. All in all, the next time you plan a meal, have this on the side!

Ingredients for the Asparagus
Ingredients (3-4 servings):
1 bunch of asparagus (the skinnier the asparagus the better)
cooking spray
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
2 scallions (or 1/4 cup onions)
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut off about 1 inch of the ends of the asparagus.  This is the thicker and tougher region that is hard to eat.
3. Cut the scallions and mince the garlic.
4. Line the asparagus and coat with cooking spray.  Do this in the tray that you will be baking your asparagus in.
5. Sprinkle the asparagus with the salt and pepper.  Make sure and thoroughly coat all sides of the asparagus with the salt and pepper.
6. Add the scallions and garlic to the top of the asparagus.  You can mix this in as well or just leave on top for the flavor to soak through.
7. Bake asparagus for about 10-12 minutes. (I like them in the more softer side so I keep them in the full 12 minutes.)
8. Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium-heat one minute before asparagus is done.
9. Add soy sauce and balsamic vinegar to sauce pan. Remove from heat.
10. Top the fresh-out-of-the-oven asparagus with the sauce from step 9.
11. Make sure and coat the asparagus all over with the sauce.
12. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment