Sunday, January 8, 2012

Guacamole-esque Salad

Guacamole-esque Salad on a bed of Lettuce
Since it's the new year and everything, I have been being pretty healthy and conscious of how I treat my body. Exercising daily and trying not to eat too many fatty foods.  I am sticking to more wholesome good for you type foods; trying to let the natural flavors of food be stronger rather than adding too many spices and oils to my dishes.  Although, yes I do bake a lot, but the good thing about that is I have many people in and out of my house, meaning baking goods never stick around too long!

I wanted to make a sort of Mexican Salad to accompany my Red Potato and Broccoli Salad. I was craving avocados (high in calories, but very good for you) so I decided to make a very Guacamole-esque Salad!  I ate this salad on a bed of lettuce, but my friends came over and ate them with Ritz crackers.  You can eat this salad however you want, but a word of advice is make sure to not buy overripe avocados, I did and the end result although great, was not as chunky as I was hoping for.  Alright on with the recipe!

Ingredients for Salad

Ingredients (about 4-5 servings):
1 small hass avocado
1 15.5 oz can of black beans
8.5 oz can of corn
2 oz black olives
1 tomato
1/2 cup lettuce
1/4 cup red onion
1 scallion
1/2 of a lemon, juiced
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Instructions:
1. Drain and wash black beans, corn, and black olives.
2. Chop avocado, tomato, red onion, scallion, and cilantro.
3. Combine black beans, corn, black olives, tomato, red onion, scallion, cilantro, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper in a medium sized bowl.  
4. Let mixture from step 3 marinate in refrigerator for about 25 minutes to bring out all the flavors.
Mixture from step 3 in refridgerator
5. Take out refrigerator, add avocados.  Add more salt and black pepper depending on personal taste.
6. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
7. ENJOY!






No comments:

Post a Comment