Saturday, January 7, 2012

Red Potato and Broccoli Salad

Red Potato and Broccoli Salad!
What better way to spend a Saturday night then cooking?! My family went out and as mentioned before night times are my favorite times to cook! So here I was, on a Saturday night, no one at home (parents are partying it up) and before I knew it, I was on my way to the grocery buying all the necessary ingredients.  I was hungry for some dinner and always wanted to have a go at making a good, HEALTHY potato salad! I came across a recipe on my favorite food blog of all time, Skinnytaste, for a Baby Red Potato Salad, and decided to make my spicier version of it! I also added broccoli (best vegetable ever created!) and  a bit of meat (though it's delicious without it). Well here is my shot at it this salad!

Ingredients for the salad
Ingredients (about 5-6 servings):
4 cups red potatoes (about 6-7 potatoes)
1/2 cup broccoli (stems removed)
1/4 cup red onions
3 scallions
1 1/2 tsp jalapeno mustard (any mustard would do)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
10 pieces of turkey pepperoni (optional)
1/4 tsp of salt
1/8 red chilli pepper
1/8 tsp of black pepper

Instructions:
1. Chop red potatoes, broccoli, red onions, and scallions.


2. Boil potatoes for about 8-10 minutes (should be able to pierce potato with a fork easily). Drain and set aside to cool.
3. While potatoes are boiling, combine broccoli, red onions, mustard, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, and turkey pepperoni in a bowl.
All ingredients minus potatoes, scallions, salt, and pepper.
4. After potatoes are cooled, add potatoes to the mixture from step 3. 
5. Add salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper (add more depending on personal taste preference). Garnish with scallions.
6. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment