Saturday, January 21, 2012

Salisbury Steak in Mushroom Gravy

Salisbury Steak in Mushroom Sauce
Being Desi has made me miss out on many of America's famous dishes, Salisbury Steak being one of them.  I have never actually had this before, but have heard of it many times before.  We had a huge snow storm this past week (huge for Seattle, that is) which gave me a tremendous amount of time to cook for my family.  It gave me the opportunity to try out a lot of different recipes (all of which will come your way!), and my mom a big break from the kitchen!

I found a great recipe on my FAVORITE blog, Skinnytaste.com, for Salisbury Steak and knew I had to try it. We also had a lot of ground beef (kurbani mangsho) from a friend of ours and had to use it somehow.  Anyways, my family LOVED this recipe and the leftovers were great the next day.  I also made some garlic mashed potatoes and cornbread to go with it, which I will blog about soon. Let's get on with the recipe!

Ingredients for Steak and Gravy
Ingredients (for about 8 patties):
1 1/2 tsp oil
1 cup onions, minced
1 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs ground beef (or any kind of ground meat)
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1 large egg white
2 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable broth (I used beef)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
8 oz mushrooms (I bought sliced ones)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 cup water

Instructions:
1. Saute onions and garlic in oil over medium-heat until they are golden brown.
2. Combine together half of the sauteed onions and garlic, ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, egg white, 1/4 cup broth, salt, and pepper, in a medium bowl.  
3. Shape mixture from step 2 into about 8 oval patties.  
4. In a large skillet, brown patties over medium-high heat.  Set on a plate after the patties are browned.  
5. Add mushroom to the large skillet and cook over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes.  (No need to add more oil as the pan will be oily from cooking the patties.) Add salt and pepper to mushroom.
6. Add browned patties to the mushrooms in the large skillet. 
7. Mix rest of broth, flour, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and water in a small bowl (this is the gravy mixture). 
Sister helping me mix the gravy mixture!
8. Pour gravy mixture from step 7 into large skillet with browned patties and mushrooms. 
9. Cover large skillet and cook for about 20 minutes on low heat.  Make sure to stir occasionally.  Sauce should thicken slightly telling you that it is ready.
10. Serve over mashed potatoes or eat on it's own with a side of steamed veggies.
11. ENJOY!
Salisbury Steak in Mushroom Gravy served over Garlic Mashed Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment